verb (past and past participle foretold)[with object]
Predict (the future or a future event): as he foretold, thousands lost their lives [with clause]: a seer had foretold that she would assume the throne
More example sentences
- In the Greek theatre Chorus speaks for the citizens, comments on events and foretells the future.
- A science which teaches to judge of the effects and influences of the stars, and to foretell future events, by their situation and different aspects.
- In pagan times poets were thought to be gifted with second sight, able in a trance or frenzy to foretell future events.
- Example sentences
- For example, for a fateful moment, such as the dispatch of a large shipment by sea, some exporters would require the advice of experts and outsiders, the counsel of foretellers, and the help of the Virgin Mary.
- We are in the best prophetic traditions, not foretellers, but forthtellers: we would like to say what ought to be, and we speak in the name of tradition in this way.
- Someone has to become the foreteller of the future, and they start leading people toward it.
Words that rhyme with foretellAdele, Aix-la-Chapelle, aquarelle, artel, au naturel, bagatelle, béchamel, befell, bell, belle, boatel, Brunel, Cadell, carousel, cartel, cell, Chanel, chanterelle, clientele, Clonmel, compel, Cornell, crime passionnel, dell, demoiselle, dispel, dwell, el, ell, Estelle, excel, expel, farewell, fell, Fidel, fontanelle, Gabrielle, gazelle, gel, Giselle, hell, hotel, impel, knell, lapel, mademoiselle, maître d'hôtel, Manuel, marcel, matériel, mesdemoiselles, Michel, Michelle, Miguel, misspell, morel, moschatel, Moselle, motel, muscatel, nacelle, Nell, Nobel, Noel, organelle, outsell, Parnell, pell-mell, personnel, propel, quell, quenelle, rappel, Raquel, Ravel, rebel, repel, Rochelle, Sahel, sardelle, sell, shell, show-and-tell, smell, Snell, spell, spinel, swell, tell, undersell, vielle, villanelle, well, yell
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.