1Excessive adherence to prescribed forms: academic dryness and formalism
More example sentences
- This inclination has developed the furthest in philosophy, political science, and economics, where most practitioners have adopted an otherworldly and self-referential formalism.
- I am not going to argue for the virtues of formalism.
- Fortunately, I grew out of the spell of legal formalism and its infantile over-simplifications.
1.1The use of forms of worship without regard to inner significance.
- After decades of dead formalism in denominational churches, the charismatic movement seemed to bring great spiritual freedom.
- He shared a nineteenth-century German dislike for religious formalism and ceremony.
- Evangelicity, in other words, guards against ecclesial formalism by breaching the walls of institutional isolationism.
1.2The basing of ethics on the form of the moral law without regard to intention or consequences.
- Analytic ethics has been very fairly impoverished given the postivist legacy of emotivism, the formalism of Kantian ethics and the technicalism of utilitarianism.
- They explicitly disavow the classical philosophies of formalism, logicism, Platonism, intuitionism, and social constructivism.
- Gadamer uses Kant's aesthetic formalism to illustrate this point.
1.3Concern or excessive concern with form and technique rather than content in artistic creation.
- Judd's thesis augured the inevitable evolution of Modern art into pure formalism and object-ness.
- In this way, neoclassicism's insistent formalism did little to close the gap between style and meaning.
- A slew of sculptors have emerged in Los Angeles in the last few years, but most seem stuck in either constrictive formalism or murky surrealism.
1.5The treatment of mathematics as a manipulation of meaningless symbols.
- The other basic version of formalism likens the practice of mathematics to a game played with linguistic characters.
- He has also made this formalism more useful for practical calculations.
- Brouwer emphasizes, as he had done in his dissertation, that formalism presupposes contentual mathematics at the metalevel.
2A description of something in formal mathematical or logical terms.
- Yet the development of the general theory of relativity introduced Einstein to the power of abstract mathematical formalisms, notably that of tensor calculus.
- The Maximum Likelihood section provides the details of the mathematical formalisms and computations.
- Any attempt to disprove the theory of evolution using thermodynamics will require proper formalisms.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of formalism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.