Definition of forsythia in English:
A widely cultivated ornamental Eurasian shrub whose bright yellow flowers appear in early spring before the leaves.
- Genus Forsythia, family Oleaceae: several species
- Scillas bring the sky-blue color down to earth under flowering pear trees and forsythias, as hyacinths underplanted with pansies welcome visitors.
- Good candidates are aucuba, barberry, forsythia, holly, honey-suckle, hydrangea, spirraea, weigela and even roses.
- Spring-flowering shrubs include such popular plants as forsythia, deutzia, lilac, viburnum, mock-orange and spirea.
Modern Latin, named after William Forsyth (1737–1804), Scottish botanist and horticulturalist, said to have introduced the shrub into Britain from China.
Words that rhyme with forsythiaScythia • clothier • salvia
Definition of forsythia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.