Definition of fort in English:
1A fortified building or strategic position.
- This period saw the establishment of a number of strongly defended forts on strategically placed high points all over the region.
- In the 1960s, many of the old coastal forts were turned over to the National Park Service.
- Archaeologists have identified one of Britain's largest prehistoric hill forts in the North Yorkshire Moors.
1.1A permanent army post.
- Army forts and posts, crucial to the defense and settlement of the frontier, dominated the region's social and economic life.
- The former Army coastal defense fort, built in 1942, sits in second-growth forest about two miles north of Coupeville.
- A Pakistani army fort stands where the young Winston Churchill shot down rebels.
hold the fort
- see hold1.