1A defensive wall or other reinforcement built to strengthen a place against attack.
- Mortars were originally developed for siege warfare to lob munitions over walls and other fortifications.
- Improved protective designs for field fortifications and base camps have been developed for field forces.
- Furthermore, illegal fortifications violate the DMZ virtually to the centerline.
1.1The action of fortifying or process of being fortified: the fortification of the frontiers
More example sentences
- Not about to sit by idly as other categories steal their calcium franchise, dairy processors have turned to fortification to recapture share of stomach.
- A much more realistic option is to start with soup, and if you need a little more fortification, slug some brandy into your coffee.
- In some measure, this attitude to fortification reflected the contemporary state of military engineering art in the West and Russia.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.