- 1(Of an animal) burrowing.More example sentences
- The only Australian fossorial mammal is the marsupial mole, Notoryctes typhlops (order Notoryctimorphia, family Notoryctidae).
- The means of intraspecific communication in the insectivorous fossorial mammals clearly needs to be examined in more detail and is not addressed further here.
- Most mammals employing this behavior are subterranean, rather than simply fossorial; most fossorial mammals are limited to scratch digging.
- 1.1(Of limbs) adapted for use in burrowing.More example sentences
- In insects with fossorial legs the fore legs and tibiae are specialized for digging.
mid 19th century: from medieval Latin fossorius (from Latin fossor 'digger', from fodere 'to dig') + -al.
More definitions of fossorialDefinition of fossorial in:
- The British & World English dictionary