1A line marking the boundary of permissible movement or play, in particular.
- ‘Like those guys, Bobby is capable of playing the game from foul line to foul line,’ Gross said.
- And we went from foul line to foul line, just shaking hands.
- There is one seating deck, with about 20 rows, which stretches from foul line to foul line.
1.1 Baseball Either of the straight lines extending from home plate past first and third bases into the outfield and marking the limit of the area within which a hit is deemed to be fair.
- He has ranged from left-center field to the third base foul line for balls.
- The right field foul line was 247 feet, with a 12-foot fence and 40-foot high screen.
- Ortiz's power from foul line to foul line makes him tough to pitch to.
1.2 Basketball Either of the lines 15 feet in front of each backboard, from which free throws are made. Also called free-throw line.
- Once the players understand the timing and execution, it almost always results in a close shot at the basket or a trip to the foul line for two free throws.
- Does a player have to be in contact with the foul line when shooting a free throw?
- He also shoots a high percentage from the floor and foul line.
1.3(In bowling) a line on the alley, perpendicular to the gutters and 60 feet from the head pin.
- Don't hang around at the foul line or in the other bowler's line of sight, because this is a distraction.
- According to the rules of bowling, touching or going over the foul line is a foul.
- This speed is also based on the ball traveling a straight line from the foul line to the head pin.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: foul line
Definition of foul line in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.