- 1A line marking the boundary of permissible movement or play, in particular.More example sentences
- ‘Like those guys, Bobby is capable of playing the game from foul line to foul line,’ Gross said.
- And we went from foul line to foul line, just shaking hands.
- There is one seating deck, with about 20 rows, which stretches from foul line to foul line.
- 1.1 Baseball Either of the straight lines extending from home plate past first and third bases into the outfield and marking the limit of the area within which a hit is deemed to be fair.More example sentences
- He has ranged from left-center field to the third base foul line for balls.
- The right field foul line was 247 feet, with a 12-foot fence and 40-foot high screen.
- Ortiz's power from foul line to foul line makes him tough to pitch to.
- 1.2 Basketball Either of the lines 15 feet in front of each backboard, from which free throws are made. Also called free-throw line.More example sentences
- Once the players understand the timing and execution, it almost always results in a close shot at the basket or a trip to the foul line for two free throws.
- Does a player have to be in contact with the foul line when shooting a free throw?
- He also shoots a high percentage from the floor and foul line.
- 1.3(In bowling) a line on the alley, perpendicular to the gutters and 60 feet from the head pin.More example sentences
- Don't hang around at the foul line or in the other bowler's line of sight, because this is a distraction.
- According to the rules of bowling, touching or going over the foul line is a foul.
- This speed is also based on the ball traveling a straight line from the foul line to the head pin.
More definitions of foul lineDefinition of foul line in:
- The British & World English dictionary