Definition of founding father in English:
1A person who starts or helps to start a movement or institution.
- The founding fathers of the European movement had lofty aims in seeking to avoid ever again the terrible wars that have ravaged our continent in the past.
- Father's Day was the perfect day to pay such historic tribute to the founding fathers of the steelband movement.
- More important, however, he never became a founding father of republican institutions in the Old World.
1.1 (Founding Father) A member of the convention that drew up the US Constitution in 1787.
- The creation of the presidency was the linchpin of the work of the Founding Fathers at the Constitutional Convention of 1787.
- Some have asserted that the Founding Fathers meant for the Constitution to be understood as a Christian document of governance for a Christian nation.
- It's hard to imagine this proposal will get enough support to be added to the Constitution - fortunately the Founding Fathers made it extremely difficult to amend.
Definition of founding father in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.