Definition of founding father in English:
1A person who starts or helps to start a movement or institution.
- The founding fathers of the European movement had lofty aims in seeking to avoid ever again the terrible wars that have ravaged our continent in the past.
- Father's Day was the perfect day to pay such historic tribute to the founding fathers of the steelband movement.
- More important, however, he never became a founding father of republican institutions in the Old World.
1.1 (Founding Father) A member of the convention that drew up the US Constitution in 1787.
- The creation of the presidency was the linchpin of the work of the Founding Fathers at the Constitutional Convention of 1787.
- Some have asserted that the Founding Fathers meant for the Constitution to be understood as a Christian document of governance for a Christian nation.
- It's hard to imagine this proposal will get enough support to be added to the Constitution - fortunately the Founding Fathers made it extremely difficult to amend.
Definition of founding father in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan