- 1Equivalent to the product of two and two; one more than three, or six less than ten; 4: Francesca’s got four brothers it took four of them to lift it a four-bedroom house (Roman numeral: iv, IV, archaic iiii or IIII)More example sentences
- To supplement this income, Strakan is looking to buy three or four marketable products this year.
- He said she had drunk the equivalent of four pints at the time of her death.
- That's equivalent to four pence on income tax - wait till you see the peace dividend from ending this war.
- 1.1A group or unit of four people or things: the girls walked in pairs or foursMore example sentences
quartet, foursome, tetralogy, quadruplets• technical tetrad• rare quadrumvirate
- Sign-up in Shenanigans in Pairs please, and try to join with another pair to make a four.
- It was the insurance score his team needed and the final whistle confirmed their place in the last four.
- The league finishes off next week with a home game against New Ross and a win will see Clane finish in the top four.
- 1.2Four years old: I began to teach myself to read at fourMore example sentences
- Getting him to sit down at story time proved impossible but by the age of four he was reading newspapers.
- Sally Beamish was born in London and could read and write music by the age of four.
- Something like that happened when I read that no persons under four years of age are allowed to take part.
- 1.3Four o’clock: it’s half past fourMore example sentences
- At half past four she was relieved by a twelve year old Alty Grammar lad.
- If the match had kicked off at ten to four rather than three o'clock, we might have had a game on our hands at Ram Stadium.
- Can you tell that despite it being ten past four I haven't quite got round to eating breakfast yet?
- 1.4A size of garment or other merchandise denoted by four.More example sentences
- Sean went back over to the rack where he saw the red gown and picked up a size four.
- I would have done the same were I in her size fours.
- 1.5A playing card or domino with four spots or pips.More example sentences
- Example: if the player before you makes the pile value 100, the only cards you can play are black aces, fours, red fives, tens, jacks, the Q and the kings.
- Twos count 2, threes count 3, fours count 4, etc, and all the court cards count 10.
- If a four had turned up and you had a four in your hand, you would not be able to meld fours, because stealing the 4 would not leave a valid sequence.
Old English fēower, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch and German vier, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin quattuor and Greek tessares.