1Four allegorical mounted figures, commonly identified as Pestilence (or Conquest), War, Famine, and Death, whose arrival heralds the end of the world, as described in the biblical book of Revelation.
- A widower forensics expert (Dennis Quaid) investigates perverse serial killings with a Biblical link to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- In a column a few days ago I mentioned the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of whom is Pestilence.
- That is scarier than any horse that any of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse could ever mount.
1.1Used to refer to people or phenomena seen as agents of imminent catastrophe: in 2003, the airline industry survived the four horsemen of the apocalypse
More example sentences
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are standing off in the distance, giggling at us.
- Whether they were being ridden by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would no doubt be revealed at Filbert Street this afternoon.
- The end of the world seemed nigh and I fancy I saw the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse in the starting stalls.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.