- Separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point (and hence chemical composition) by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.More example sentences
- The liquids in a mixture such as this can be separated by fractional distillation.
- Oil refining separates the various fractions of petroleum by a process called fractional distillation and takes place in a large plant called a refinery.
- This mixture (an azeotrope) is produced by fractional distillation and it is known as rectified spirit.
More definitions of fractional distillationDefinition of fractional distillation in:
- The British & World English dictionary