- The basic monetary unit of Switzerland and several other countries (including France, Belgium, and Luxembourg until the introduction of the euro), equal to 100 centimes.More example sentences
- There were no long queues or flurries of excited bank customers looking to exchange the Luxembourg franc for the euro last week.
- The prices helpfully flash up on the board in pounds, dollars, Swiss francs, pesetas and yen.
- Today, the dollar dropped almost 2% against both the Swiss franc and the euro.
from Old French, from Latin Francorum Rex 'king of the Franks', the legend on gold coins struck in the 14th century in the reign of Jean le Bon.
More definitions of francDefinition of franc in:
- The British & World English dictionary