1The action of franking a letter or parcel: [as modifier]: a franking machine
More example sentences
- Stamps - why don't some mail boxes have franking machines (this personal annoyance is somewhat overcome in the US where you can actually get stamps out of an ATM).
- I wonder why the post office always urges us, the public, to use postcodes, as the franking machines are geared to do, when they are so often ignored?
- This is a certified course in office work including office management, using fax machines and photocopiers, franking letters, office finances and telephone receptionist skills.
1.1An official mark or signature on a letter or parcel to indicate that postage has been paid or does not need to be paid.
- Most agents will have a return address or a franking mark, and thus they will get equally bombarded.
- Mixed frankings are avidly sought; they were later also possible with the Landscapes series stamps.
- The little color such frankings add to a collection of whites, reds and oranges make for a positive change.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of franking in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.