1Downward movement under the force of gravity only: the path of a body in free fall
More example sentences
- That includes parachuting - both static line and free fall, scuba diving, land navigation, vehicle and boat.
- In free fall everything is falling at the same rate and is in a weightless state, so the air is of equal density everywhere on board the spacecraft.
- In all conditions except that of free fall, a live body can be distinguished from an inert structure by the relative disposition of the body parts, its ‘posture’.
1.2The movement of a spacecraft in space without thrust from the engines.
- Prior to the final touch down, the spacecraft shuts down the propulsion engine and enters into a free fall descent.
- It is not caused by the fact that the shuttle is so far from the Earth; it is produced because the space shuttle is in free fall under the influence of gravity.
- Cassini-Huygens is in free fall towards Saturn, which means that it is accelerating continuously.
verb(free-fall) [no object]
Move under the force of gravity only; fall rapidly.
- But some of the scenes - like one of an astronaut free-falling from the space station - really brought home the peril of the job.
- Within a week a dozen scientific teams will be aboard it as it thrusts skyward, then free-falls - and in so doing briefly cancels out the effect of gravity.
- And it is said some sportsmen, to show their skill in free-falling, open their parachutes as late as possible.
Definition of free fall in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.