Definition of free skating in English:
The sport of performing variable skating figures and jumps to music.
- That free skating is dancing on ice, performed to music, is in large part responsible for its popularity, be it in competitions, show and exhibitions, or rock music blaring at your local public session.
- Pairs skating combines free skating elements performed in unison by a pair of skaters, with other elements performed together, such as lifts, throw jumps, and coordinated and common-axis spins.
- Over the years as skaters began to fill their programs to the brim with triple jumps, the importance of spins in free skating programs went into a period of decline.
- free skate noun
- Example sentences
- In both the qualifying round and final free skates, Weiss attempted the rare quadruple lutz for the first time since 1998.
- Hughes completed just five triple jumps in her free skate and did not attempt either of the triple-triple combinations that won her the gold medal in Salt Lake City.
- Some believe that the incident in the free skate with the broken skate lace was a ploy to get the referee to let her skate last in the vain hope that she might get higher marks.
Definition of free skating in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.