(also freetail bat)
Definition of free-tailed bat in English:
A streamlined fast-flying insectivorous bat with a projecting tail, found in tropical and subtropical countries.
- Family Molossidae: several genera and numerous species, including the mastiff bats and hairless bats
- Molossids are known as free-tailed bats, because their bony tail extends to the end of a well-developed tail membrane and considerably beyond.
- Western pipistrelles and Mexican free-tailed bats have staked their own claim on the chutes and shafts.
- All free-tailed bats and two noctules reluctant to feed by themselves had to be fed by hand.
Definition of free-tailed bat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.