Definition of freestone in English:
1Rock that can be cut easily in any direction, in particular a fine-grained sandstone or limestone of uniform texture.
[From Old French franche pere 'excellent rock']
- Whilst the greater part was just ordinary stone, many decorative elements were carved out of freestone such as sandstones and limestone.
- The ten-bay barn is of limestone with freestone dressings and diagonal buttresses.
- He has learnt all the skills of carving freestone.
2A stone fruit in which the pit is easily separated from the flesh when the fruit is ripe: [as modifier]: freestone peaches Contrasted with clingstone.
More example sentences
- Its freestone fruit - about average in size - has an attractive pinkish-orange skin.
- Varieties There are two categories of peach, clingstone and freestone, distinguished by the ease with which the flesh comes away from the stone.
- Use chunks of ripe pineapple, halves of slightly under-ripe apricots or freestone peaches.
Words that rhyme with freestonekeystone
Definition of freestone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan