Definition of freestyle in English:
Denoting a contest or version of a sport in which there are few restrictions on the moves or techniques that competitors employ: freestyle wrestling
More example sentences
- He is a former amateur great, who went on to win a gold medal for freestyle wrestling during the 1996 Olympics.
- Finally, in 2005, the X Games hosted its first women's freestyle contest.
- Swimmers Darian Townsend, Lyndon Ferns and Karl Thaning race in a freestyle time trial at the Olympic Aquatic Centre.
nounBack to top
A contest in which there are few restrictions, in particular a swimming race in which competitors may use any stroke.
- The most recent world records by Ian Thorpe in the 200 and 400 meter freestyles are the latest testaments to the strength of freestyle swimming by Australians.
- In January I raced a 1650 freestyle with my heart rate monitor on, and I was anaerobic the whole way.
- In freestyle, the fastest swimmers had the greatest distance per stroke at slow swimming speeds.
- Example sentences
- ‘I'm the best prepared I've ever been,’ Alison Sheppard, the 50 metres freestyler who is at her fifth Olympics, said.
- ‘It was tough racing the two greatest freestylers of all time,’ Phelps said.
- I swam against the two fastest 200-meter freestylers of all time, and I broke the American record.
Words that rhyme with freestylehairstyle • fictile • epistyle
Definition of freestyle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan