Definition of Freudian in English:
1Relating to or influenced by Sigmund Freud and his methods of psychoanalysis, especially with reference to the importance of sexuality in human behavior.
- Increasingly, however, Freudian psychology was influencing how scholars thought about early childhood and the development of sexuality and masculine and feminine characteristics.
- After his chess career ended, Fine became an exponent of Freudian psychoanalysis, authoring important works in the field.
- But I thought foolishly that Freudian psychoanalysis was deeper and more intensive than other, more directive forms of therapy, so I was trained in it and practiced it.
1.1Susceptible to analysis in terms of unconscious desires: he wasn’t sure whether his passion for water power had some deep Freudian significance
More example sentences
- When I mentioned the story to Bill, he couldn't remember the incident, but added, ‘I'm sure there was some deep-seated Freudian significance.’
- We find ourselves scribbling in large circles, gradually spiralling inwards into a densely layered doodle of no doubt strong Freudian significance.
nounBack to top
A follower of Freud or his methods.
- Freud is often praised by Freudians for his apparent flexibility; for his willingness to alter his theories as psychoanalysis grew and developed.
- Even modern Freudians, or psychodynamic theoreticians, seem to be hampered by Freud's outmoded evolutionary speculations, but still the interest for evolutionary explanations exists.
- For example, Freudians and behaviourists had different methods, but they also had a different agenda.
- Example sentences
- Perhaps the two theories that have been most eclipsed by recent developments are Freudianism and behaviorism.
- Critics discovered in Dracula an almost endless source for readings on Freudianism, Marxism and feminism, the depths of which they plumed with gleeful abandon.
- Today, Freudianism is widely regarded as an example of pseudoscience.
Definition of Freudian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.