Definition of frigate bird in English:
A predatory tropical seabird with dark plumage, long narrow wings, a deeply forked tail, and a long hooked bill. Also called man-o'-war bird (see man-of-war).
- Family Fregatidae and genus Fregata: five species
- The frigate bird waits on high and swoops when it spots a booby bird returning from sea with fish in its crop.
- The primary symbol of the republic is the flag, which depicts a frigate bird over an ocean sunrise.
- Other birds on the island include boobies, fairy terns, frigate birds, and a good-sized population of friendly ground doves, a species classed as internationally vulnerable.
Definition of frigate bird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan