Definition of frigate bird in English:
A predatory tropical seabird with dark plumage, long narrow wings, a deeply forked tail, and a long hooked bill. Also called man-o'-war bird (see man-of-war).
- Family Fregatidae and genus Fregata: five species
- The frigate bird waits on high and swoops when it spots a booby bird returning from sea with fish in its crop.
- The primary symbol of the republic is the flag, which depicts a frigate bird over an ocean sunrise.
- Other birds on the island include boobies, fairy terns, frigate birds, and a good-sized population of friendly ground doves, a species classed as internationally vulnerable.
Definition of frigate bird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.