Definition of frit fly in English:
A very small black fly whose larvae are a serious pest of cereal crops and golf-course turf.
- Oscinella frit, family Chloropidae
- In established grasses the normal result of frit fly attack is the loss of tillers which can be replaced.
- Adult frit flies are black with small yellow markings on the legs.
- Injuries caused by frit fly larvae were satisfactorily controlled with insecticides applied as a seed dressing.
late 19th century: from Latin frit 'particle on an ear of grain'.
Definition of frit fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan