A jumping, plant-sucking bug, the larva of which produces a frothy mass on plants. Also called spittlebug.
- Family Cercopidae, suborder Homoptera: several genera
More example sentences
- Philaenus spumarius, commonly known as a froghopper or spittle bug, is a mere 0.2 inches long, but employs a novel catapult mechanism to launch itself upwards of 28 inches into the air.
- Spittlebugs, or froghoppers, are easily identified by the frothy, white foam that protects them from predators.
- Keep an eye out for cuckoo spit, a globule of froth that conceals the tiny froghopper, easily squashed between thumb and finger.
Definition of froghopper in:
- The British & World English dictionary