Definition of frogmouth in English:
A nocturnal bird resembling a nightjar, occurring in Southeast Asia and Australasia.
- Family Podargidae: two genera and several species, in particular the tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) of Australia
- Birds in this family are also known, unflatteringly, as oilbirds, frogmouths, and goatsuckers, the last based on an old myth that these birds use their expansive maws to steal milk from goats.
- It was on the first of such voyages in 1979 that he located the Ceylon frogmouth, a bird that had not been spotted for about 40 years.
- Our sample is deficient in species that would have allowed us to assess the uncertain relationships between owls and frogmouths and their allies (Caprimulgiformes ).
Definition of frogmouth in:
- British & World English dictionary