- 1The contestant that is leading in a race or other competition.More example sentences
- The former governor of a New England state is emerging as the Democrats front runner in the US presidential election race.
- He is the front-runner and I think he will continue to be the front runner until the other candidates get its message together and pull the staff together.
- He raced behind the two front runners early before assuming command 150 yards from the finish line and drawing clear by two lengths.
- 1.1An athlete or horse that runs best when in the front of the field.More example sentences
- ‘The strong headwind did not help a front runner, it was a killer but he has run a great race,’ he said.
More definitions of front runnerDefinition of front runner in:
- The British & World English dictionary