- 1A building where pelota or jai alai is played.More example sentences
- The referendum asked state voters to decide whether Miami-Dade and Broward counties could conduct a separate local referendum for approval to install slot machines at horse tracks and dog tracks and jai-alai frontons in those counties.
- Jim Horne, Florida's education commissioner, publicly supports a ballot initiative that could eventually lead to expanded gaming at seven of South Florida's racetracks and jai-alai frontons.
- Voters will have the opportunity to approve a constitutional amendment that could pave the way for slot machines at three horse racetracks, two dog tracks, and two jai-alai frontons in the state.
- 2 another term for pediment.More example sentences
- At the library left of the central shrine the frontons are especially noteworthy.
- Far from being inert, it takes in that which is found below and carries it skywards, serving as a base for other diminishing frontons that are set at the projection of the upper tiers.
- Each of these frontons is again distinguished by bordering ornamental turrets on its either flanks, which are carried beyond the parapets.
late 17th century: from French, from Italian frontone, from fronte 'forehead', from Latin frons, front- 'front, forehead'.
More definitions of frontonDefinition of fronton in:
- The British & World English dictionary