- A small fly that feeds on fruit in both its adult and larval stages.
More example sentences
- Families Drosophilidae and Tephritidae: many genera. See also drosophila
- To elucidate the cellular functions of NSF, we have chosen to use a genetic approach in the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster.
- The first mutations of a single gene affecting the daily locomotion rhythm were found in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster.
- Hox genes were discovered through the study of the fruit fly.
More definitions of fruit flyDefinition of fruit fly in:
- The British & World English dictionary