Definition of fruitlet in English:
1An immature or small fruit.
- Apple scab over-winters on fallen leaves, codling moth caterpillars live in fallen apples and pear midge grubs live in fallen fruitlets.
- She said their early apricot varieties were already forming fruitlets and the bees were ‘flat out’ on the later-blossoming varieties.
- Sawflies infest fruitlets and cause these to drop prematurely after which the pests pupate in the topsoil.
1.1 Botany another term for drupelet.
- Pedicel CSA in fruitlets destined to abscind declined once symptoms of pending abscission became apparent.
- Recently, it has been shown that young Citrus fruitlets are able to synthesize ethylene in a manner that resembles the system II pathway of the climacteric fruits.
- Although a higher proportion of fruitlets were thinned from the low-vigour vines after anthesis (data not shown), these vines still carried higher crop loads relative to total leaf area.
Words that rhyme with fruitletmoonlit • sextuplet
Definition of fruitlet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan