- A brown seaweed or fossil plant of a group to which bladderwrack belongs.
More example sentences
- Order Fucales, class Phaeophyceae, including genus Fucus
- This suggests a rapid, recent evolution of at least northern hemisphere temperate fucoids.
- It is well known that most fucoids are prevented from establishing on exposed shores by limpet grazing.
- Without grazers to remove them, the faster growing epiphytes could outcompete fucoids by covering all surfaces or at least covering enough surface area to decrease photosynthetic activity of Fucus.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of, relating to, or resembling a brown seaweed, especially a fucoid.More example sentences
- Ceratopteris spores, like fucoid zygotes, divide unequally to produce a small rhizoid cell and a larger cell that develops into the thallus.
- In the fucoid zygote, polarization events can be triggered by a range of stimuli, including unidirectional light and fertilization.
- The zygotes of the fucoid brown algae have long been studied by developmental biologists in an effort to understand how cellular polarity arises.
More definitions of fucoidDefinition of fucoid in:
- The British & World English dictionary