Definition of fulgurite in English:
1Vitreous material formed of sand or other sediment fused by lightning.
- The clay-soil class of fulgurite, recently discovered in the eastern gold fields of Western Australia, was described as subaerial irregular masses of black glass hosted by clayey soil.
- Perhaps once this class of exogenic fulgurite becomes better known, a greater number or variety of occurrences will be recognized instead of overlooked.
- At the discovery outcrop, the black glass-lined effusion crater with its glassy tendrils marks the transition from subterranean fulgurite tubes to exogenic styles of formation.
1.1A piece of fulgurite.
- A 10-foot fulgurite is being prepared for display in the lobby of UF's new engineering building.
- Most people have never seen a fulgurite, and many that have probably did not realize what it was at the time.
- After thunderstorms on the Florida coasts beach combers find fulgurite in the sands.
Definition of fulgurite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India