Definition of fulgurite in English:
1Vitreous material formed of sand or other sediment fused by lightning.
- The clay-soil class of fulgurite, recently discovered in the eastern gold fields of Western Australia, was described as subaerial irregular masses of black glass hosted by clayey soil.
- Perhaps once this class of exogenic fulgurite becomes better known, a greater number or variety of occurrences will be recognized instead of overlooked.
- At the discovery outcrop, the black glass-lined effusion crater with its glassy tendrils marks the transition from subterranean fulgurite tubes to exogenic styles of formation.
1.1A piece of fulgurite.
- A 10-foot fulgurite is being prepared for display in the lobby of UF's new engineering building.
- Most people have never seen a fulgurite, and many that have probably did not realize what it was at the time.
- After thunderstorms on the Florida coasts beach combers find fulgurite in the sands.
Definition of fulgurite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.