An opening in or near a volcano, through which hot sulfurous gases emerge.
More example sentences
- Some geologists noted similarities between the lakes' steaming cracks and the fumaroles of volcano craters - and wondered if magma might be brewing there.
- Most of the mountains are clastic stratovolcanic sediments (ashes and tuff), and the abundant solfataras and fumaroles, many of which are still active, are the last phases of the volcanism.
- Surface geothermal manifestations include hot steaming ground, fumaroles, mud pools, and warm to boiling hot springs.
- More example sentences
- During the waning stages of eruption, fumarolic activity oxidized cinders along the rim and deposited aggregates of sublimates, hydrothermal precipitates, and reaction products near the central vent of the volcano.
- The first felt seismicity occurred in November 1984, and increased fumarolic activity was noted in February 1985.
- From the rim we were able to access the rim of the fumarolic crater and get down to the floor.
Definition of fumarole in:
- The British & World English dictionary