- It is also ironic some sections of Protestant fundamentalism criticise the Catholic Church for having a pope.
- Then, for some reason, the subject changed to fundamentalism and the US Bible belt.
- Christian fundamentalism is not an aspect of Ashcroft's politics, it is the entire basis.
- Does this suggest any sort of parallel to the rise of religious fundamentalisms in Islam and Judaism?
- For example, Marty is known for defining and explaining fundamentalisms in various religions. he also comments frequently on the relations between religion and culture.
- There were also more nationalisms based on religious fundamentalisms that restricted women's roles as part of their doctrine.
Modern Christian fundamentalism arose from American millenarian sects of the 19th century and has become associated with reaction against social and political liberalism, and with the rejection of the theory of evolution. Islamic fundamentalism appeared in the 18th and 19th centuries as a reaction to the disintegration of Islamic political and economic power, asserting that Islam is central to both state and society and advocating strict adherence to the Koran (Qur’an) and to Islamic law (sharia)
- More example sentences
- He believes Cronje's recent behaviour stems from a fundamentalist straitjacket.
- Both of these Islamic fundamentalist organisations are reactionary to the core.
- Initial reports suggest the bombs may have been planted by Islamic fundamentalists with links to al-Qaeda.
Definition of fundamentalism in:
- The British & World English dictionary