Definition of funeral in English:
1The ceremonies honoring a dead person, typically involving burial or cremation.
- Shocked regulars are holding a wake for him at the pub after his funeral service at Southend Crematorium next Tuesday.
- The funeral service and cremation will be held at Scholemoor Cemetery tomorrow at 1pm.
- Kevin Warr's family and friends packed into his funeral service at Overdale Crematorium.
1.2 archaic or literary A procession of mourners at a burial.
- The laneway to the cemetery was narrow and it was on Deegans land - the funerals had to pass through Deegans yard.
- When she was a child it was common to see funerals pass the road with the coffin carried by men.
- The villages through which the funeral passed had all the shutters up in respect for his memory.
it's (or that's) someone's funeral
- informal Used to warn someone that an unwise act or decision is their responsibility: “I won’t discuss it.” “Don’t then—it’s your funeral.”More example sentences
- If you'll excuse the cliché, go ahead but it's your funeral.
- The constable sighed, ‘All right, bud, it's your funeral.’
- ‘All right, it's your funeral,’ he said, stepping away from the door to Shaidanna's room and gesturing him through.
Words that rhyme with funeralgeneral • mineral
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.