Definition of funeral in English:
1The ceremonies honoring a dead person, typically involving burial or cremation.
- Shocked regulars are holding a wake for him at the pub after his funeral service at Southend Crematorium next Tuesday.
- The funeral service and cremation will be held at Scholemoor Cemetery tomorrow at 1pm.
- Kevin Warr's family and friends packed into his funeral service at Overdale Crematorium.
1.2 archaic or literary A procession of mourners at a burial.
- The laneway to the cemetery was narrow and it was on Deegans land - the funerals had to pass through Deegans yard.
- When she was a child it was common to see funerals pass the road with the coffin carried by men.
- The villages through which the funeral passed had all the shutters up in respect for his memory.
it's (or that's) someone's funeral
- informal Used to warn someone that an unwise act or decision is their responsibility: “I won’t discuss it.” “Don’t then—it’s your funeral.”More example sentences
- If you'll excuse the cliché, go ahead but it's your funeral.
- The constable sighed, ‘All right, bud, it's your funeral.’
- ‘All right, it's your funeral,’ he said, stepping away from the door to Shaidanna's room and gesturing him through.
Words that rhyme with funeralgeneral • mineral
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan