Definition of fungo in English:
noun(also fungo fly) (plural fungoes or fungos) Baseball
1A fly ball hit for fielding practice.
- If that is working on your hitting, than Pedroia taking fungoes before the game is working on your fielding.
- What if instead of the traditional coach hitting fungos to the outfield a new device is created that helps a fielder increase the area they cover in the field?
- A writer in Scientific American in 1915 advised players not to hit fungo flies during pregame practice because it would lead to hitting flies during the game.
1.1 (also fungo bat or stick) A long lightweight bat for hitting practice balls to fielders.
- Our infield and outfield fungoes are turned from solid, high quality, northern white ash.
- Available in four colors, our fungo bat is specifically designed to hit a tossed ball for practice and pre-game drills.
- All fungo bats are available in any color and style.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with fungomungo
Definition of fungo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.