- A growth of fungus cultivated by certain ants or termites as a source of food.More example sentences
- Intricate reticulated patterns appear in the passageways of the fungus gardens of African termite colonies, and in the crisscrossing trails of foraging army ants.
- Termites tend fungus gardens, leaf cutter ants make underground compost heaps and many species of other ants tend and protect aphids for their honeydew.
- New World tropical leafcutter ants create colossal underground metropolises, each housing several million workers that tend huge fungus gardens.
More definitions of fungus gardenDefinition of fungus garden in:
- The British & World English dictionary