- 1A colorless volatile liquid with a planar unsaturated five-membered ring in its molecule.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C4H4O
- Furfural reacts with phenols, ketones, and esters as an aldehyde; removal of the aldehyde group yields furan, which is converted to tetrahydrofuran, used in the manufacture of nylon.
- Cycloadditon of one of the double bonds on either the furan or the pyrone ring of a psoralen molecule forms a monoadduct.
- Several studies have demonstrated that only the 5-nitrofurans are mutagenic and that derivatives with the nitro group outside the furan ring do not show mutagenic activity.
- 1.1Any substituted derivative of this.More example sentences
- According to Marcocchio, and the World Health Organization, dioxins are linked to cancer, birth defects and auto-immune problems, while furans are chemically similar but slightly less toxic.
- Dioxins, and furans, are chemical compounds generated as by-products of most forms of combustion, particularly of plastics and rubber.
- This argument was presented in a modified form to the effect that the system of monitoring for dioxins and furans (other objectionable organic pollutants) was unreasonable and contrary to Articles 2 and 8 of the Convention.
late 19th century: from synonymous furfuran.
More definitions of furanDefinition of furan in:
- The British & World English dictionary