1An enclosed structure in which material can be heated to very high temperatures, e.g., for smelting metals.
- Continuous power was required to maintain the temperature in a furnace in which metal was melted.
- Even where old, proven recipes were used, wildly differing results could be obtained depending on the materials and proportions employed and the temperature of the furnace.
- The metals are brought to a suitable temperature in a furnace, and the weld is achieved by hammering or other mechanical pressure.
1.1North American An appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.
- These appliances include space heaters, gas ranges and ovens, furnaces, gas water heaters, gas clothes dryers, wood or coal-burning stoves, and fireplaces.
- Fuel burning appliance such as furnaces, hot water heaters, and stoves should be inspected annually and identified any repair problems.
- When installing gas fireplaces, water heaters and furnaces, select appliances with sealed combustion chambers.
Words that rhyme with furnaceBernice
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of furnace in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.