Definition of futon in English:
1A Japanese quilted mattress rolled out on the floor for use as a bed.
- The only furnishing visible were a table and chair, and a futon rolled up in one corner.
- Other parents sleep next to their infants on bamboo or straw mats or on futons (as in Japan).
- There where a small ground level table and two futons rolled out on the wooden floor.
1.1A type of low wooden sofa that can be unfolded for use as a bed.
- There is room for a futon or sofa bed, making the level ideal for overnight guest accommodation.
- Isabella took a seat across from the girls' bunk beds on their small futon.
- Wood-slatted futons are no longer the only option and Innovation's sofa beds are both trendy and practical.
Late 19th century: Japanese.
Words that rhyme with futoncroûton
Definition of futon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan