Definition of gabble in English:
Talk rapidly and unintelligibly; utter meaningless sounds: he gabbled on in a panicky way until he was dismissed
More example sentences
- Around them bustles Ceicao, an ancient village woman, who cackles and gabbles as she throws sticks and pokes the ashes of the fire, raising cinders like showers of fireworks.
- ‘Not a problem,’ he gabbles, so rattled he's not noticed that the important fields are filled out in pencil.
- ‘Hello, Ty,’ she says, the bucket gently sloshing, the solid air rent by the blast of the speakers, the crowd gabbling, her unflinching eyes locked on mine.
nounBack to top
Rapid, unintelligible talk.
- There was some tired bureaucratic gabble - ‘An in-depth process that includes accountability will provide progress.’
- I've learned his gabble is usually honey talk but occasionally it can be coercion.
- Another personality was Harry Hemsley, who had a little boy who spoke in an unintelligible gabble, but was understood perfectly well by his elder sister.
jabbering, babbling, chattering, gibbering, babble, chatter, rambling
- Example sentences
- Straight-as-a-die on a Friday lunchtime, he is an opinionated gabbler, king of the mood swingers, rude about everyone, and quite possibly the most bombastic person in the history of the bombasticism.
- I am interested in stories half-told and mistakenly heard; the sort caught in snatches from the gabblers and whisperers across the room at empty bars on Wednesday afternoons, while the decent folk are still at work in office parks and city hall.
- The serious and the facile, the scribblers and the gabblers, the structuralists and the screenwriters all hang in, watching those films, occasionally disputing them - but, sad to say, almost never asking an intelligent question in the press conferences.
Late 16th century: from Dutch gabbelen, of imitative origin.
Words that rhyme with gabblebabble, bedabble, dabble, drabble, grabble, rabble, scrabble
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.