1The part of a wall that encloses the end of a pitched roof.
- The landscape which preoccupies me happens to be in its nature fairly geometric, like the triangular gable of a roof, the crossed bars of a gate or the circular shape of an oil drum head on.
- The roof is an inverted gable, a reference to all the gabled houses in the neighborhood.
- The prevailing style of the roughly 3,800 neighboring houses features large gables and verandas, with porticos, pediments, and glossy interiors.
1.1 (also gable end) A wall topped with a gable.
- Barmaid Kathryn, 22, said: ‘They only came to render the wall and repair the gable end.’
- Designer Tony Cooper turned a wall at the gable end into a built-in unit that meets all the requirements.
- Three hours after industrial action was confirmed, blue watch was called to the village of Thorner, where a car carrying five young people had careered off the road, smashed through a garden wall and into the gable end of a house.
- Example sentences
- It has two three-bay kilns with pyramid-shaped roofs and raised flat-topped flues and a timber-framed lucam - a projecting loading door with a gabled roof through which barley was hoisted into the building to be turned into malt.
- Two gabled mansions with curly upturned eaves are connected by a horizontal two-storey section, topped with yellow-bodied, blue-headed dragons with large pointy teeth and tails thrashing the air.
- Eerie sounds emit from the dark, gabled building just about 50 meters from her bedroom window, from which she peeks and stares, trying to decipher what unsavory shenanigans are being committed over there.
Words that rhyme with gableAbel, able, Babel, cable, enable, fable, label, Mabel, sable, stable, table
Definition of gable in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.