Definition of gadroon in English:
A decorative edging on metal or wood, typically formed by inverted flutings.
- Wire was applied until the mid-1820's, the technique having run concurrently with applied decorative borders - first the bead, then the gadroon and finally, the foliate and shell motifs - since the 1790's.
- Notice how alternating floral blossoms on bifurcated stems are superimposed on the flutes between each of the gadroons.
- Furthermore, the gadroon is filled up with a welt, and the welt covers the stitching in the gadroon.
- Example sentences
- The gadrooned column and lobed bun feet of the games table illustrated in Figure 5 are typical of the heavy silhouettes associated with the late 1820s and the 1830s, and the use of ebony or ebonized wood emphasizes these elements.
- In both pattern books and extant artifacts, quilted feathers resemble the gadrooned edgings of seventeenth-and eighteenth-century furniture and fine metalwares.
- The edges and joints are dressed with slender sterling silver wire, both plain and delicately gadrooned, which more durably conceals the copper at the edges than plated moldings.
- Example sentences
- The delicate gadrooning on the foot and lid rim and the bell-shaped finial are features of the late phases of the rococo style and were fashionable in Philadelphia silver made just prior to the American Revolution.
- The unorthodox carved decoration of the ears of the crest rail and the gadrooning applied under the seat rails as well as the modern-looking surface led some scholars to conclude that this set was out of period.
- Many are decorated with a different pattern on either side of the handle, usually gadrooning on one side and repeated circular dimples on the other.
Definition of gadroon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan