Definition of gadwall in English:
noun (plural same or gadwalls)
A brownish-gray freshwater duck found across Eurasia and North America.
- Anas strepera, family Anatidae
- Other migratory birds observed in the shallow waters were bar headed geese, open bill storks, northern pintails, gadwalls, curlews, black tailed godwits, spoonbills, green shanks, red shanks and so on.
- Beyond teal, his hunters returned with mixed straps that included shovelers, gadwalls and mottled ducks.
- During teal season, hunters must be careful not to shoot the occasional shoveler, pintail or gadwall flying alone, which provide no size reference, or rolling with a squadron of teal.
mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of gadwall in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia