Definition of gadwall in English:
noun (plural same or gadwalls)
A brownish-gray freshwater duck found across Eurasia and North America.
- Anas strepera, family Anatidae
- Other migratory birds observed in the shallow waters were bar headed geese, open bill storks, northern pintails, gadwalls, curlews, black tailed godwits, spoonbills, green shanks, red shanks and so on.
- Beyond teal, his hunters returned with mixed straps that included shovelers, gadwalls and mottled ducks.
- During teal season, hunters must be careful not to shoot the occasional shoveler, pintail or gadwall flying alone, which provide no size reference, or rolling with a squadron of teal.
Mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with gadwallpaywall • whitewall • Cornwall
Definition of gadwall in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.