Definition of galingale in English:
1A Eurasian sedge with an aromatic rhizome, formerly used in perfumes.
[ late 16th century: variant of galangal]
- Cyperus longus, family Cyperaceae
- When we speak of nutsedges, umbrella-sedges or galingales, we're referring to species in the genus Cyperus.
- The sweet galingale with its terminal umbels of stiff spiky leaves has bent over double.
- Gerard's English galingale is a sedge and was known as Cyperus longus by physicians and herbalists long before Linnaeus made the name ‘official’.
Definition of galingale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan