1A Eurasian sedge with an aromatic rhizome, formerly used in perfumes.
[ late 16th century: variant of galangal]
- Cyperus longus, family Cyperaceae
More example sentences
- When we speak of nutsedges, umbrella-sedges or galingales, we're referring to species in the genus Cyperus.
- The sweet galingale with its terminal umbels of stiff spiky leaves has bent over double.
- Gerard's English galingale is a sedge and was known as Cyperus longus by physicians and herbalists long before Linnaeus made the name ‘official’.
More definitions of galingaleDefinition of galingale in:
- The British & World English dictionary