- Of or relating to birds of an order (Galliformes) which includes domestic poultry and game birds.More example sentences
- Everyone has seen at least a few gallinaceous birds, since domesticated chicken and turkeys are in this category.
- Supra-orbital combs and wattles are fairly common in gallinaceous birds, but they also occur in other taxonomically unrelated bird families.
- More likely to be seen or heard on the plateau is the little chachalaca, a gallinaceous bird named in part for its noisy call.
late 18th century: from Latin gallinaceus (from gallina 'hen', from gallus 'cock') + -ous.
More definitions of gallinaceousDefinition of gallinaceous in:
- The British & World English dictionary