Definition of gallinule in English:
A marsh bird of the rail family, with mainly black, purplish-blue, or dark green plumage, and a red bill.
- Genera Porphyrio and Porphyrula (or Gallinula), family Rallidae: several species, including the purple gallinule (Porphyrula martinica), found from the southeastern US to Argentina. See also moorhen
- Gender-biased incubation patterns in the rails and gallinules are poorly known, but male nocturnal incubation has been documented in several species, including at least one that is not considered a joint layer.
- In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.
- It's a takahe, an extraordinary, huge flightless gallinule long believed to be extinct until rediscovered in a remote mountain range 50 years ago.
Definition of gallinule in:
- British & World English dictionary