nounchiefly Scottish & North American
- Suspenders for trousers.More example sentences
- The Scots word for braces, straps supporting trousers from the shoulders, is sometimes spelt ‘galluses’ and is a corruption of the term ‘gallows’, the apparatus for capital punishment by hanging.
- Their hats should be creased fore and aft like a fedora, and I don't like exposed galluses.
- It helped to hide the suspenders, or galluses, which held up the trousers.
mid 19th century: plural of gallus, variant of gallows.
More definitions of gallusesDefinition of galluses in:
- The British & World English dictionary