- A leg, especially in reference to the shapeliness of a woman’s leg.More example sentences
- What better spokesperson for landmine awareness than a foxy mama with shapely gams?
- In Men with Arrows, a tousle-haired youngster ponders the cleavage and shapely gams of his young mom as she squats to pick up laundry; behind them hover images of an upscale tract home and a Mercury capsule parachuting into the sea.
- She sings and shows a lot of cleavage (well, as much as was allowed at the time) and a clinging black sequined gown accents her shapely gams.
late 18th century: probably a variant of the heraldic term gamb, which denotes a charge representing an animal's leg, from Old Northern French gambe 'leg'.
- 1A school of whales, porpoises, or dolphins.More example sentences
- Upon getting into a "gam" of whales, this boat, together with that of one of the mates, pulled for a single whale that was seen at a distance from the others, and succeeded in getting square up to their victim unperceived.
- 2A social meeting or informal conversation (originally one among whalers at sea).More example sentences
- Crews normally visit each other during a gam, captains on one vessel and chief mates on the other.
- On the high seas, ships whose paths crossed held a gam, during which the men exchanged news, jokes, out-of-date periodicals, letters to be forwarded, and tales of the occasional bull sperm whale who head-butted his persecutors instead of dying quietly.