- A traditional instrumental ensemble of Indonesia, typically including many bronze percussion instruments.More example sentences
- It is performed by a simplified gamelan orchestra blending soft-sounding percussion instruments with the melancholy sounds of a flute.
- Singers, both solo and in chorus, are frequently an important part of the gamelan and the ensemble is controlled by the kendang player, who signals changes of speed, mood, and music.
- He built several gamelans (Indonesian percussion orchestras) and composed extensively for them.
early 19th century: from Javanese.
More definitions of gamelanDefinition of gamelan in:
- The British & World English dictionary