noun (plural gametangia /-jēə/)Botany
- A specialized organ or cell in which gametes are formed in algae, ferns, and some other plants.More example sentences
- Both gametangia form from a stereotyped series of divisions of a terminal apical cell, unlike the gametangia of liverworts and hornworts.
- The sproangia produces mitospores which through mitosis develops into gametangia, or sex organs.
- Over four months in culture, the Church Farm worm castings eventually produced populations of four species of Vaucheria (Fig. lb) that we could identify from their gametangia: V. prona, reproductive after 17 d in culture (Fig. 1c); V. frigida, 23 d; V. undulata, 44 d; and V. aversa, 91 d (Table 1).
More definitions of gametangiumDefinition of gametangium in:
- The British & World English dictionary