Definition of gamete in English:
A mature haploid male or female germ cell that is able to unite with another of the opposite sex in sexual reproduction to form a zygote.
- Meiosis is the process by which diploid organisms produce haploid gametes capable of sexual reproduction.
- Zygotic embryogenesis in animals and plants starts with the fusion of the haploid female and male gametes, giving rise to a diploid zygote.
- Once within the gonads, the germ cells differentiate as either male or female gametes.
- Example sentences
- These observations demonstrate that a mechanism contributed by the cytoplasm of the wild-type gametic cell recognizes abnormal-length flagella and restores length control.
- Several gametic and zygotic reproductive barriers were found in a cross between Japonica and Indica rice varieties.
- Simultaneous analysis of the haploid megagametophyte and diploid embryo in a seed allows the female and male gametic contributions to the zygote to be separated.
Definition of gamete in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan