A mature haploid male or female germ cell that is able to unite with another of the opposite sex in sexual reproduction to form a zygote.
More example sentences
- Meiosis is the process by which diploid organisms produce haploid gametes capable of sexual reproduction.
- Zygotic embryogenesis in animals and plants starts with the fusion of the haploid female and male gametes, giving rise to a diploid zygote.
- Once within the gonads, the germ cells differentiate as either male or female gametes.
late 19th century: from modern Latin gameta, from Greek gametē 'wife', gametēs 'husband', from gamos 'marriage'.
- More example sentences
- These observations demonstrate that a mechanism contributed by the cytoplasm of the wild-type gametic cell recognizes abnormal-length flagella and restores length control.
- Several gametic and zygotic reproductive barriers were found in a cross between Japonica and Indica rice varieties.
- Simultaneous analysis of the haploid megagametophyte and diploid embryo in a seed allows the female and male gametic contributions to the zygote to be separated.
Definition of gamete in:
- The British & World English dictionary