Definition of gametogenesis in English:
The process in which cells undergo meiosis to form gametes.
- Normally, the adult proximal germline contains germ cells undergoing gametogenesis and proliferation is restricted to the distalmost part of the adult gonad.
- Sporulation in single-celled eukaryotes such as yeasts is a morphogenetic process equivalent to gametogenesis, because an ascospore is a highly specialized cell and its formation is preceded by meiotic nuclear division.
- Homologous chromosomes are fully aligned at the pachytene stage, and germ cells survive to complete meiosis and gametogenesis with high efficiency.
- Example sentences
- The final stages of gametogenic development, spawning activity, and major shell growth also take place during this low-salinity period.
- Typically, the small-sized tubules are in an early gametogenic stage and the largest tubules are mature.
- There are, however, important gametogenic events which are specific to multicellular organisms.
Definition of gametogenesis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan