Definition of gametogenesis in English:
The process in which cells undergo meiosis to form gametes.
- Normally, the adult proximal germline contains germ cells undergoing gametogenesis and proliferation is restricted to the distalmost part of the adult gonad.
- Sporulation in single-celled eukaryotes such as yeasts is a morphogenetic process equivalent to gametogenesis, because an ascospore is a highly specialized cell and its formation is preceded by meiotic nuclear division.
- Homologous chromosomes are fully aligned at the pachytene stage, and germ cells survive to complete meiosis and gametogenesis with high efficiency.
- Example sentences
- The final stages of gametogenic development, spawning activity, and major shell growth also take place during this low-salinity period.
- Typically, the small-sized tubules are in an early gametogenic stage and the largest tubules are mature.
- There are, however, important gametogenic events which are specific to multicellular organisms.
Definition of gametogenesis in:
- British & World English dictionary